Tuesday 7 June 2011

Easy Chocolate cake with cocoa

I never even dreamed that baking a chocolate cake could be so easy until the time i actually did it. And then i had to kick myself that it took me so long. Really? why did nobody tell me before? You tried, huh? I just didn't hear it. I will surely try  harder to keep  my ears open next time.
Bored one day of watching repeats of "Food Paradise" on TLC, I started reading through blogs and suddenly noticed all these people who were not cooks until they got married and how so many seemed to be baking cakes with ease. So i decided it was time for me to try it too. A decision i will never regret. And once this decision was made all the required ingredients magically made their appearance in the supermarket aisle. OK, you guessed it right, i just never noticed them before when they were right in front of my eyes. A case of you only see what you want to see. They say that once you buy a car or intend to buy a car, you start seeing the same model and colour everywhere! Right, right, I am going off the topic. In my defense, i am new to this - writing about a single topic.
Let me start again, if you even remotely like chocolate you simple have to give this a try. You don't need frosting to make it taste good, you can serve it warm or cold and it will keep for a week in the refrigerator. 
The idea to bake this cake came from a recipe for egg-less chocolate cake from a vegetarian website. I read through the comments where someone suggested inclusion of eggs for a fluffier version and i came up with my own recipe. And i have baked it so many times now (having started about two months ago) that i will tell you the ingredients list and process even if you wake me up from my sleep.
Ingredients
2 eggs
5 tablespoons vegetable oil/ unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
1/2 cup milk (approx 120 ml)
1 cup all purpose flour/ maida
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Method
Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a baking tin of 7" diameter. (I generally use an 8"x8" square or 9"x13" rectangular pan, so an oven-proof container of approximate size will work).Whisk the eggs, oil and sugar together. 
Add the vanilla essence if using. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Now add the flour mixture and milk alternately into the egg mix and combine until it becomes a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the greased baking tin. 
Allow to bake in the 350F preheated oven for 22-25 minutes or until a wooden skewer (or toothpick) inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes. Gently unmould the cake and allow to cool completely before storing. 
Or you can have a slice while its warm. Hot cakes, they say, are impossible to resist!

3 comments:

  1. isn't that incredible - only when you start taking interest in a certain task, you start to "see" things more clearly.

    Things magically appear and the path is paved.( whether for success of failure is another debate)

    BUt this chocolate cake looks rich, decadent and super moist.
    And yes- non fussy. nonchalant. casual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a relief to see at least one person tell me she likes it.. I make this cake at least twice a month these days and i was almost heart broken that nobody else seemed to like it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that cake looks neat! I am sure it tasted good! I have never been able to unmold the cake so clean, without sticking to the pan. Don't know why Any tips?

    ReplyDelete

Your words are my fuel. Thank you for your time here and your feedback.